Monday, November 8, 2010

Why I Walk 60 Miles in 3 Days

Maureen Corcoran (Mom)The main reason I do the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure is to honor of my mother, Maureen Corcoran, a breast cancer survivor. During my final years in high school, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. At the time, I really had no idea how what was in store for her. When she started with her radiation treatments, it appeared to be just another routine trip to the doctor’s office, unbeknownst to me that this was just the beginning her of war with the disease.

It wasn’t until Chemo began where I really started to see the havoc that this menace really causes to the person. My mother’s energy levels were at an all time low, food, when desired, wouldn’t stay down, tears filled her eyes each and every day as she realized that even the simplest things in life were now monumental tasks. I am sure negative thoughts constantly barraged her mind; however, she was/is a warrior and always kept a positive attitude, never letting the anguish show to her friends and family. I love you Mom, you have always been a hero in my eyes and I’m glad that I have a chance to tell you that.

I hold very fond memories of her trying on wigs after her long raven hair fell out and laughing alongside her as she decided that she wasn’t going to hide her condition under a wig. She went bald for the remainder of her treatments, standing tall and proud. I think she enjoyed it so much, that even after she won her battle, she decided to keep her hair short. Although I’m sure it was for convenience sake, I know it also acted as a daily reminder of the battle she just won. She has a heart of gold and has reached out to other women to aid them through their battles.

I’m a blessed one, my mother is still around and able to play with her grandchildren.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! So proud that you did this for your Mom and millions of other women. I hope it was a joyous experience for you.
    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete