Do you use Gmail’s Web interface for your day to day communication? Why not enhance it with a snazzy 3-Day signature to help your fundraising efforts in 2011? This post will walk you through a simple set up utilizing the Chrome Web browser (should also work in FireFox) and a few add-ons to enhance the Gmail experience.
- First step is to download the Chrome browser. I am not saying you have to do this, but this article is assuming you are using it.
- Once installed and running, you will want to install “WiseStamp”.
- After WiseStamp has completed installation, visit Gmail and you should notice a new icon in the upper right hand column. This is the administrative interface for WiseStamp.
Now that you’ve completed the above steps, it is now time to customize a signature for your 2011 3-Day journey!
- Log into your 3Day.org Participant Center site.
- On the left-hand side, you will see a navigation link entitled, “Fundraising”. Go ahead and click on that.
- Under the Resources heading, click on the link for “Widgets and Facebook Application”.
- Click on the city in which you will be walking. In my case it was the Dallas/Fort Worth link.
- Choose the widget of your choice. One is supposed to be for the walkers and the other for the crew, however, just choose the one which you enjoy best and click on the “Get Snippet” button.
- Select the entire contents of the snippet and copy it (control-c) to your clipboard.
- Go back to the window where WiseStamp’s administrative interface was open (or just open up Gmail and click on that new icon for WiseStamp).
- Now you want to click on the far right button in WiseStamp, which says “HTML”. this allows you to edit the HTML source of your new signature.
- Paste (control-v) the contents of your snippet captured above into this text area and hit save.
That is all there is to it! You now have a fancy new signature that will attach itself to all e-mails you compose in Gmail.
Of course, there are additional configuration options, such as detailing which emails it should attach the signature to, social networking links that you can add to you signature for additional flair, etc.
Have fun and get to spreading the word! If you found this article useful, please don’t hesitate to donate to my 2011 3-Day journey!