Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Real Super Heroes

You're Our HeroIn the 2010 DFW 3-Day for the Cure, I was sporting a pink cape for all 60 miles.  The real reason behind this accessory is that I didn’t have anything pink going into the walk, so Team Tiara’s captain D’Lyn graciously allowed me to sport her treasured wardrobe item.  I was much appreciated, as it provided me some inspiration for the 2011 walk.

When you think about a cape, what is the first thing that comes to mind?  Is it Superman, Zorro, or maybe Wonder Woman?  Not sure who comes to your mind, but for me, images of superheroes quickly come to mind.  With that imagery in place, I realize that I am not the one who should be portraying the superhero, but those that have personally affected by breast cancer.  They are the real heroes, providing us encouragement, inspiration, and hope.  We walk, cry, and raise a boat load of money for these heroes and I want to do my part to honor them.

In 2011, for every donation I receive towards the walk, I would like you to submit a name of a person that inspired the donation.  Please let me know if they are a survivor, or are no longer with us, as I would like to honor them during the walk.  For each name I receive, I will create a ribbon that will be applied to next year’s cape.  This cape will be a reminder of the real super heroes in our lives and will serve as an inspiration to our other walkers on the 60 mile journey.   Reminding them that although they may in temporary pain, it doesn’t compare to the constant barrage of treatments that those listed on the ribbons have gone through.

I will list all of the names on this blog, so we can keep them in the forefront of our minds as we take this journey together.  Thank you in advanced and let’s honor those super heroes by making a donation to the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment