Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tiara in Training

Tiara in TrainingIn a previous post, I talked about the main reason I got started walking in the 2010 3-Day for the Cure, however, there are many other ancillary reasons.  One of those reasons is for my daughter (Julia – 4.5 years old – shown to the right wearing her official Team Tiara “hair pretties”).

Although I would love her to join the team to help find a cure for breast cancer, I also hope that she won’t need to.  I can’t imagine a life without my daughter and am so thankful for the research that has been done to this date that increases the survival rate.  When I think of my daughter, I think of innocence, joy, love, kindness, and many other wonderful attributes.  I’ll be honest, I don’t ponder the thoughts of her being diagnosed with breast cancer, but with such alarming stats, we can’t just put on blinders.

Can you imagine that this year alone, it is estimated that about 207,090 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in women just in the United States?  Men aren’t excluded from these stats, albeit much lower, it still does happen.  It is estimated that 1,970 new cases of male breast cancer will be diagnosed this year in the US.  For more information, please visit komen.org or call 877-GO-KOMEN.

Although I don’t sit around and fret about my daughter getting diagnosed, I do want to be proactive in helping the cause and increasing the mortality rate of those that do become infected with this disease.  I’d like to be a positive influence and while I can do that in many ways, the direction I have chosen is to partner with thousands of other walkers in the Dallas 3-Day for the Cure.  I don’t want my daughter to become another statistic and I am doing everything I can to aid in that fight.

I am currently saving up the funds necessary to register for the 2011 Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure in Dallas.  Once I have the registration complete, I will share with you all on how you too can be a part of the effort!  I’ll do the hard part and all I need from you is your support and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment